Criteria for Welsh Assembly Government Funding
- Free Swimming for all children under 8 years of age when accompanied by a paying adult (s) (in accordance with local policies on adult/child ratios) during all school holidays.
- Free Swimming for all children and young people aged 8-16 during all school holidays - local schemes should accomodate variations in the school holiday patterns.
- Family group participation is to be encouraged and promoted by participating authorities across Wales - the evaluation will seek to identify best practice and innovation.
- Free Swimming (free splash and/or free structured activities) will be provided for a minimum of 50% of all public swimming session times across the authority area.
- A minimum of 1 hour a day per local authority will be dedicated to a free structured activity programme for targeted groups (e.g black and ethnic minority groups, swimming lessons through the medium of Welsh, sessions for disadvantaged children, introduction to other aquatic activities). Following customer evaluation of FSI all parties associated with the initative wish to encourage a greater proportion of structured activity.
- At least one of the above sessions should be a dedicated structured session for disabled children. Authorities are encouraged to provide support and incentives for carers of disabled children - the evaluation will seek to identify best practice and innovation.