Why swimming ?
- Swimming is a life skill and does save lives
- Swimming is accessible for some people for whom other forms of physical activity are difficult - those with mobility problems for example and those who want low impact exercise
- Swimming encompasses a wide range of activity including, fun sessions, aquafit, water circuits, synchro, water polo, as well as swimming lessons and length swimming
- Individuals can swim alone or through informal or organised groups
- Families can swim together
- Swimming is an activity for all ages
- Swimming is a gateway to all aquatic sports rowing, surfing, sailing, scuba diving etc
- Swimming clubs and other organised groups offer volunteering and career/personal development opportunities
David Davies – Olympic bronze medallist, Athens 2004, 1500m Freestyle
"Swimming is excellent for providing all-round fitness because it tones your entire body and gets the heart rate pumping.
"It is a sport that is accessible to people of all ages and – whether you do it for fun or competitively - the benefits are huge. There are so many excellent facilities around every local authority in Wales so I would encourage everyone, young and old, to take advantage of Free Swimming and get in."