Performance Lifestyle support
Performance Lifestyle is a personalised support service specifically designed to help each athlete create the unique environment necessary for their success.
Trained athlete advisers recognise that the sport programme is the main focus for competing athletes and provide guidance on how to maximise that focus while still fulfilling other important commitments such as career, family, social or financial. The approach is to work closely with coaches and support specialists as part of an integrated team to minimise potential concerns, conflicts and distractions, all of which can be detrimental to performance and, at worst, may end a career prematurely.
The Performance Lifestyle programme is primarily delivered to Élite Cymru members through an adviser based at the Élite Cymru Unit. Élite Cymru members are required to meet with the adviser at least once in order to establish what lifestyle support support, if any, they require. Examples of the support offered by the Performance Lifestyle programme include:
- Integrated Planning - this helps athletes to combine the demands of sport with other personal aspirations;
- Educational Guidance - providing advice for those athletes who wish to continue with their studies and support for those who are currently studying;
- Career Planning - helps an athlete to discover their own strengths and interests and match these to possible career aspirations;
- Transitional support - for those athletes, who are injured, relocating or nearing the end of their career. The programme provides guidance on future options;
- Training and Development Programmes for groups or individual athletes in a wide range of subjects, eg time management, budgeting and finance, dealing with the media, sponsorship;
- On going support, former Élite Cymru members can access the Performance Lifestyle programme for a period of up to 12 months after withdrawal from the Élite Cymru scheme.